Death of a Taxpayer 2020 - Part 1 - 10 November 2020 (On Demand)
Tax issues arising on death and how to plan for them
An individual’s death can trigger onerous and often unexpected tax liabilities. This webinar is Part One of a two-part series and will provide attendees of all levels with a broad understanding of the tax consequences that arise from asset transfers made upon an individual’s death.
Topics covered will include:
- Income tax consequences of asset transfers on the death of an individual, including:
- When is a market value disposal of assets deemed to occur?
- How do the tax rules apply for different asset classes in an estate?
- When is “rollover relief” available?
- GST consequences of asset transfers by an individual on death
- Tax consequences of receiving an inheritance payment from a New Zealand based estate or an offshore estate
- Estate and succession planning and ensuring that the terms of a will do not create an undesired tax outcome on death
ORIGINAL BROADCAST DATE
10 November 2020
The death of an individual can have wide-reaching effects on their financial and business interests with flow on taxation consequences.
This webinar will provide attendees with a broad understanding of the general income tax and GST rules applying to the transfer of assets upon death of an individual. Attendees will be able to provide greater guidance to their clients regarding the tax consequences of proposed asset transfers on death.
- Accountants of all levels, particularly those advising clients on estate and succession matters
- Lawyers advising on wills, trusts, succession and other estate matters
- Other professionals providing executor, trustee or other estate related services
Greg Neill, Partner – Tax Advisory, Findex presenting on behalf of TEO
1 CPD Hour
On Demand Event
Complete online in your own time (Self-paced)