Death of a Taxpayer 2019 - 12 November 2019 (On Demand)
Income tax issues arising on death and how to plan for them
An individual’s death can trigger onerous and often unexpected tax liabilities. This webinar will provide attendees with an understanding of the tax consequences that arise from asset transfers made upon an individual’s death. The webinar will also provide attendees with the ability to ensure that their clients have structured their affairs to minimise the tax impact of their death.
Topics covered will include:
- Income tax consequences of asset transfers on the death of an individual and when a market value disposal is deemed to arise
- Whether tax relief is available depending on the nature of the assets in the estate and how the terms of a will can affect this
- Various practical issues including the effect of death on a company’s shareholding continuity, providing for debt forgiveness on death and tax compliance issues for estates
- Latest IRD views regarding the tax consequences of receiving an inheritance payment from a deceased estate
ORIGINAL BROADCAST DATE
12 November 2019
The death of an individual can have wide-reaching effects on their financial and business interests with flow on taxation consequences.
This webinar will provide attendees with a broad understanding of the income tax rules applying to the transfer of assets upon death. More importantly, it will enable attendees to more effectively advise their clients in relation to estate and succession planning prior to death.
- Accountants of all levels, particularly those advising individuals on estate and succession matters or acting for deceased estates
- Lawyers advising on wills, trusts, succession and other estate matters
- Other professionals providing executor, trustee or other estate related services
Greg Neill, Partner - Tax Advisory, Findex presenting on behalf of TEO
1 CPD Hour
On Demand Event
Complete online in your own time (Self-paced)